Page Formating Only
logo

Hullwebs History of Hull

logo

Victorian Parks & Gardens

--
Leisure Time
1837 to 1901
Zoological Gardens
Spring Bank, Hull

Opening in 1840, the site was laid out with shrubbery and fountains; with 4 acres of water including 2 lakes. As well as the birds and animals exhibited there (which included polar bears, wolves, elephants, tigers and pelicans), the Gardens boasted a Concert Hall and a Camera Oscura - an invention popular with the Victorians which allowed them to observe the passing scene without being observed themselves!

Pearson Park
Prince's Avenue, Hull
Hull's first park was laid out in 1860 and features a Victorian conservatory which is home to snakes, fish, birds, tropical plants and the exotic axolotyl - an albino Mexican Salamander which pre-dates the dinosaurs.
Botanic Gardens
Spring Bank, Hull
A smaller version of the Hessle Road Botanic Gardens which, after its 1890 closure, became the grounds of Hymers College.
East Park
Holderness Road
Hull's largest park is home to 6 bowling greens, 2 playgrounds, 2 football pitches, a 30-acre lake where fishing and boating can be enjoyed.
Pickering Park
Hessle Road, Hull
Ornamental gardens
18 aviaries
Playground
Paddling pool, open and supervised during school summer holidays- normally last week in July till second week in September
4 football pitches
2 bowling greens
80 peg fishing lake
Georgian Parks & Gardens

Sponsor This Site

Top of Page

All content Copyright © 2004 - Hullwebs (UK) - Terms of Use

A very special thanks to Hull Local Studies Library for their help with our research projects.